Frequency of Corrective Exercise

Written by Gray Cook Wednesday, January 21, 2015 FMS Pod Casts

Listen Now:

Highlights

• If the central nervous system does not recognize created normalcy, then this normalcy does not hold value.
  • If movement is “clean” and the client/patient is still not moving well (no range of motion deficiency, no indication of tight muscles, etc.), then this demonstrates a stability problem.
  • Stabilizers can never be stronger than prime movers, so they should never be trained like prime movers.
  • If prime movers attempt to act as stabilizers, you will observe poor alignment, inappropriate pelvic tilt, valgus collapse, pronation, rounded back, etc.  (the lack of stabilizers working properly)
  • In regards to frequency, practice Reactive Neuromuscular Training (RNT) as much as possible.
  • Once the FMS identifies the weakest link, working on any other link will not effectively change the strength of the chain.  “Hammer the weakest link.”

Please login to leave a comment

7 Comments

• author

Monique Lemmens 1/23/2015 3:27:59 PM

thanks, interesting info, especially what to pick if more than one movement patterns score equally weak...will put it into practice tomorrow :D

cheers

• author

Ryan 1/26/2015 5:44:41 PM

That had to have been the most informative and insightful audio clip I've heard him do yet! Thanks, Grey! You're an inspiration to me, brother!

• author

Jesse 2/12/2015 5:20:15 PM

Are you saying that "the weakest link" is not involved in the entire movement systems?  If you are, then you are going against all the latest brain/mind research. A movement system is not made of links but rather of relationships perceived by the entire brain/mind of what ever task is involved.  I really admire your work, Gray but you're moving further away from the cutting edge research in movement production and potentiality.  If you need research evidence, I can point you in the right direction.

Jesse Nichols

• author

Brad H 2/18/2015 8:08:42 PM

Jesse,

He is saying that the "weakest link" is involved in the entire movement system, but you have to improve the weakest link in order for the entire system to be more efficient. If you don't improve the weakest link and continue to do other training, then the weakest link itself won't change based on training your strengths.

• author

Srael 2/19/2015 4:23:32 PM

Hi,

I'm not if its the proper way to explain the concept to the non-health professional (clients); yet I'm unsure if I'm accurate in defining it. They still let me help them with NRT.

I essentially tell them by collapsing their pattern, their body will want to stop. Ironically, the same muscles that are wanting you to comeback to what perceived comfort zone are same muscles that you need to wake up to correctly execute the movement.

I'd like your opinion. At the end of the day, they are still corrected via NRT.

Thanks

• author

Brad H 2/19/2015 4:41:39 PM

An easy way to explain RNT is that you are "pulling the mistake."

If someone's knee collapses inward then you would pull the knee inwards to exaggerate the mistake. The body will respond by putting the knee into a better position and not letting it cave in.

• author

Casey V 2/23/2015 1:28:53 PM

by "hammer the weakest link" I assume Grey is talking about the lowest score and how it's broken down in Level 2?? For instance, if I have a guy who scores 1's on ASLR...is my goal to get him to symmetrical 2's before I try to do anything else corrective-exercise wise?